Winter and Spring of 2005 in the Colorado Rockies

Saturday, January 22, 2005

First Day of Work

My first day of work was pretty exciting. The Snowflake chair lift broke down and we had to assist ski patrol with evacuating the guests off of the chair. This involves throwing a rope over the cable and lowering the people on the chairs down with a harness. This apparently is a once a decade event at Breckenridge and I got to experience it on my first day. The rescue was pretty straightforward and the patroller I was working with was able to get 5 people down in about a half an hour. I think 80 people had to be rescued in all. The rest of the day I spent learning the normal duties of my job.
A normal day goes like this. We catch the chairlift up the mountain at 8am (30 minutes before the lifts open to the public). The next hour or so was spent setting up slow signs and fences on the runs. We then cruised around the mountain a bit. For about an hour in the morning we do speed control in one of the slow skiing areas. This basically involves yelling at people who are skiing too fast. I think taking passes away is a rarity, but we do try to scare people who initially ignore us. I got some basic training on how to deal with injured guests, lost children and other issues we may encounter on the slopes. The chairlift evac came shortly after lunch. We then did some more speed control and took down the slow signs at the end of the day. Overall it looks like this will be a pretty chill job. The people I'm working with are cool too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home