Winter and Spring of 2005 in the Colorado Rockies

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Biking


Today I went on a fairly long bike ride near Breckenridge. I rode up the hill past the base of Peak 8 and headed out onto the peaks trail. This doubletrack trail was a very difficult ride because it was very rocky. Just rocky enough that it wasn't much fun to ride. After a few miles I turned off onto some dirt roads which make up cross country trails at the Breckenridge Nordic Center during the winter. The trail was a steady ascent for several miles. I descended some fun singletrack that was marked as a triple black diamond cross country ski trail. Some sections were pretty steep, but not too tough (although I wouldn't want to ski it on cross country skis). It is interesting to use many of the same trails for different purposes in the summer and the winter. Trails within the ski resort that are easy to ski down (alpine skiing) are much tougher to hike on and probably impossible to bike down. In the winter, you really don't notice the steepness at all since you have so much control on skis. Sections that feel flat on skis can be quite fun to bike down. After the cross country roads, I headed home. Altogether about a 11mi loop. I feel my mountain biking skills are returning to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home