Winter and Spring of 2005 in the Colorado Rockies

Friday, February 04, 2005

Stupid Colorado Liquor Laws

I learned about yet another intrusive Colorado liquor law today. As in some other states, grocery stores cannot sell wine or liquor in Colorado. Most grocery stores will have a separate liquor store nearby. Grocery stores do however sell beer. I have bought a few cases of beer at grocery stores since I have been here. Today I discovered that the beer that is sold at grocery stores is not regular beer, but instead 3.2% alcohol beer. This fact is not well advertised at the store and the difference in packaging is very discrete. I was offended that it was not better advertised. It's not that I want beer with more alcohol in it (the 3.2 stuff actually tastes like the normal stuff so I can't complain) I just feel like I was misled. Colorado has some other weird laws, like it is illegal to brink your own bottle of wine into a restaurant and pay a corkage fee to drink it. My guess is that Colorado is also one of those states where wineries cannot ship wine directly to customers either. Hopefully the Supreme Court will fix that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ross. Judging from your blog, sounds like the skiing adventure in CO is great. I made friends with the Funitel opertor at squaw if you are not entirley skiied out.

10:54 PM, February 12, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home