Winter and Spring of 2005 in the Colorado Rockies

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Ouch


I broke my nose at work today. It happened right after I got off the first chairlift of the day. There were a couple of new inches of snow on the ground and it was pretty windy. I skied through a powder wind drift that was very deep. The sudden drop threw me forward and I face planted onto ice that was behind the drift. It was kind of a freak accident because the fall was caused by about 2ft of powder, but the injury was caused by bare ice that was just feet away. It isn't very common to have those two things so close together on the mountain. Some of my coworkers and some ski patrollers fell in the same spot, but they had better luck than I did. I had a pretty good idea right away that I had broken my nose. It started gushing blood. I've never bled so much from an injury in my life. Luckily I was only about 100 ft away from the ski patrol hut, so I just walked over there to begin getting medical aid. After the bleeding subsided, they gave me a ride on a snowmobile down to the medical center where the doctor checked me out and took x-rays to confirm the break. Surprisingly it doesn't hurt all that much. It just feels like my nose is really stuffed up and has some pressure in it. The cartilage part at the tip is pretty tender as well. I have to go back in a week for another check up and they are going to try to straighten it out. I'm not sure how this will affect my skiing. Hopefully it won't completely end my season.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ross,

Nice Schnozz!!! Your Slavic ancestors would be so proud.

Wink

1:58 PM, April 07, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home