Winter and Spring of 2005 in the Colorado Rockies

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Powder Day

So I've been looking at the job postings for Vail Resorts since I've been here and so far I have yet to see any jobs to my liking (ie easy, short hours and fun). Yesterday a few jobs were posted which I was interested in. My plan for this morning was to head up to the HR office to find out more about these jobs. However, mother nature intervened.
I awoke this morning to find a half foot of fresh snow had fallen overnight in town, and it was still snowing. I think this is a sign from God that I shouldn't get a job and just continue to be a bum. I made the easy choice between skiing and applying for a job. I got on the mountain just as the lifts opened at 8:30am. This was my first powder day at Breck. I wasn't really sure what part of the mountain to ski first. I started out skiing Mach 1 and Tiger off the south side of peak 8 a couple of times. The powder was knee deep in sections, but there were still rocks underneath. I then skied Inferno under chair E. The icy moguls that had been there a day earlier were still there, but they were covered in powder so you couldn't see where they were. I bit it a couple of times on that run, and it was pretty crappy. The best snow of the day was found on Peak 10 on Mustang, Trinity and The Burn. Since it was the middle of the holiday week and the slopes were very crowded, the new snow got tracked up pretty quickly. By noon, fresh powder was difficult to find. It was fun getting my first taste of Colorado powder. It does seem like it is lighter and drier than snow in California, although the difference is not dramatic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home