Winter and Spring of 2005 in the Colorado Rockies

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Falling all over the place

In the past three days I have had more big falls than in the previous two months that I have been here. On Tuesday and Wednesday I was falling because I was skiing hard and pushing myself. On Tuesday I faceplanted in Cucumber Bowl when I hit an unexpected bump. On Wednesday I bit it in Ore Bucket when I hit a log under the snow I think. Today my falls were just sloppy. After an exhausting day yesterday, I had planned to do only a single run today. I wanted to hike up Peak 7 right when it opened and do a single run in the new snow (20" in the last 48 hours). It was a beautiful clear day with no clouds, but things didn't go as planned. The hiking terrain off of the T-Bar generally opens around 10am after ski patrol has done their morning routes. Today with all the new snow it was taking longer than expected. They also had a misfire on one of their bombs. The procedure for this is to wait one hour before going to check it out. I think the hiking terrain didn't open till about noon at which point I had already gotten impatient and headed home. The snow was still excellent. My skis appeared to be fine after the repairs yesterday. I skied down Contest Bowl off of the T-Bar and headed for one of my favorite secret lines which always has tons of deep snow. There is an area off of contest bowl where you can jump off of a cat track into a field of soft snow. Yesterday I hit it a number of times and it was great. Today I started skiing to the jump picking up speed when I started to notice something looked different today. It was too late when I noticed what the difference was. The cat track had been groomed overnight. Instead of there being a nice smooth transition from the slope to the cat track there was now a three foot vertical drop onto the flat cat track, which was now hardpack instead of a ton of powder. I didn't have time to stop or slow down so I proceeded as originally planned. I dropped off the edge and slammed onto the hard cat track. The impact ejected me from both of my skis and I went tumbling forward through the air off the edge. I did at least one full front flip before landing in the powder on the other side of the jump. Luckily there was about two feet of fresh snow to cushion the landing. It was kind of fun. Once I sat up, my first though was "That was cool" I looked behind me and saw that I had been airborne for at least 15 feet and probably ended up 30 feet from the edge of the cat track. I set off up the hill in search of my skis. One ski was sticking out of the snow, but the other ski was buried. It took about 10 minutes of searching to find that one. This was probably one of the best falls I have had in my life. I just wished someone had been there to take a picture or at least witness the fall. I headed home after the fall deciding it was probably best for me not to ski anymore today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home