Winter and Spring of 2005 in the Colorado Rockies

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Still Snowing

Breckenridge reported 10" of snow in the last 24 hours and it is still snowing. Today I had the day off and I got up early enough to catch the very first chair up the Falcon Superchair on Peak 10. I headed down Blackhawk on the south side of 10 for my first run. It was awesome. Deep snow with no tracks. I couldn't ask for more. I did The Burn on my next run. In some places the snow was thigh deep. I skied Tom's Mom under the E-Chair on my way over to the T-Bar. When I got to the T-Bar I observed that probably every single person who lived in Breckenridge was waiting in line for the T-Bar to open. I skipped the line knowing it would be at least 45 minutes to an hour before it opened and headed over to Ore Bucket. I have discovered that Ore Bucket is one of the best secrets that Breckenridge has. This area of the resort generally has the deepest snow that stays untracked for the longest. Today it was awesome. I skied through the bucket three times in a row and had fresh tracks every time. The T-Bar had opened by this time and I decided it was time to check it out. The line was still pretty bad by the time I got there. I was about a 10 minute wait which is by far the worst I have ever seen. I kind of wish I was working so I could cut the line. I saw my boss doing laps on the T-Bar and not waiting in line. It was well worth it though. It really did seem like every local was out that day. I didn't talk to a single person from out of town. Everyone had fat skis too, some of which made my sugar daddys look skinny. I did a few runs on the T-Bar, then more through Ore Bucket, Some runs off the 6-Chair. On a day like today you couldn't really go wrong. About 11-12 the lines for the T-Bar and 6 Chair died down. I guess people had to go to work. Today I skied from 8:30am to 3:00pm without stopping at all. It was one of the best days I have ever had. I stopped shortly after I damaged my skis on some rocks. (see nearby picture) I was exhausted, but it was a great day. My only complaint was the crowds of locals who all wanted the same thing that I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home