Winter and Spring of 2005 in the Colorado Rockies

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Sunrise on the Longs Peak Trail


I reached treeline in about an hour. By this point it was getting bright enough that I no longer needed a headlamp. Above the trees the wind picked up substantially. There was a pretty strong steady wind with some powerful gusts. The summit of Long's Peak was shrouded in clouds. As I passed the Chasm Lake junction it was not possible to see much of the mountain at all. I had passed several groups of hikers on the trail at this point. At Granite Pass the wind became intense. Some gusts were strong enough to knock you off balance. I pushed up the trail toward the Boulderfield which is where the climb begins to get difficult. The trail appeared to be leading into a big cloud which was not good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home