Winter and Spring of 2005 in the Colorado Rockies

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Ullr Fest

This week is the annual Breckenridge tradition of Ullr Fest. Ullr is the Norse snow god and the hope is that celebrating Ullr will bring good snowfall. Basically it is an excuse to drink, party and have fun. It has been happening since 1963.

On Wednesday night, the Ullympics were held downtown. The Ullympics consisted of a number of events testing athleticism and skill such as the frying pan toss and the four person snowshoe. I got down there and all of the teams and spectators were standing around drinking beer. I thought, When in Rome, do as the Romans do, so I walked over to the liquor store and bought a 32 of High Life. That was a bad idea. After about a half an hour of drinking cold beer outside with the temperature in the single digits, I was freezing. I was being chilled from the outside and from within. I had to walk back to my condo and put on a few more layers. The events were pretty lame, but it was kind of fun watching.

The real big event for Ullr Fest was the Ullr Parade held Thursday night. This is parade that goes down main street in the middle of the town. There are a bunch of crazy floats, people in costumes, streakers and other entertaining stuff. It looked like the entire town attended which was pretty cool. I will let the pictures do the talking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home