Winter and Spring of 2005 in the Colorado Rockies

Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Lake Chutes Conspiracy


Pretty much the only thing I wasn't allowed to do at work was hike. As a result I have been trying to ski all of the hiking runs that I have yet to ski this year. All this week I have been really wanting to ski the Lake Chutes as this is the most difficult and least skied terrain on the mountain. It seems like some power has been conspiring against me to keep me from skiing the Lake Chutes. On Sunday they were closed because it was snowing. On Monday they were closed because of poor visibility. Tuesday was a beautiful day, but they were closed because ski patrol was doing a hiring clinic for next year and didn't have the manpower to do the avalanche control in the Lake Chutes so I had to settle for other runs. On Wednesday I didn't hike out from Francie's cabin until after the hikes were closed. On Thursday I got my chance; The Lake Chutes were open. I skied a line I had never skied before called the Zero Chute. It was a bit tricky dropping in (not as bad as the picture looks. I dropped in just about where my poles are), but the snow was very nice. It was really really steep. A very cool run. Later in the day I skied Nine Lives (just beyond the rock band in the center of the picture). Also a lot of fun. I'm building up the confidence to ski this really steep stuff. The spring conditions make it relatively easy to ski once the fear is overcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home